Monday, June 15, 2015

Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Cranberry Spinach

Welcome to my first real official post! I'm gonna give you guys a fair warning. A LOT of my recipes over the next few months will involve my slow cooker. As a resident of Phoenix, I do not like to turn my oven on from May through September. The good news is, I've found an amazing resource for light, yummy slow cooker dinners: America's Test Kitchen's Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution. You should just go ahead and buy this book for yourself. There are a bajillion recipes I'll never get around to making and/or blogging about. Actually, reading the reviews for this book is what inspired me to start my blog in the first place. Since most of the recipes use lighter meats, like chicken and fish, that don't need to cook for your typical 8 to 9 hours in the crock pot, many people gave this book negative reviews, saying they weren't able to apply it to their lives. They couldn't throw it all together on their way out the door to work and return home to a delicious meal. I thought that was extremely unfortunate and short-sided. All it takes is to think outside the box a little. You can totally utilize this type of cooking to fit your lifestyle. And I'm going to show you how.

My first recipe is a (very close) adaptation of Braised Chicken Thighs with Garlicky Spinach, from Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution.


First, line your slow cooker (4 to 7 quarts) with a thin layer of EVOO, to help keep everything from sticking. Then add your onion, garlic, tomato paste, EVOO, paprika, and red pepper flakes to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until onion is softened and spices are fragrant. Add to slow cooker along with water and stir to combine.

Next, season your chicken with salt and pepper (I prefer Morton's Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper).

Add the chicken to your slow cooker, and turn to coat both sides with the yummy bits of goodness. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until chicken is fully cooked but still tender. Transfer chicken to a plate.


Stir in spinach. It's easiest to stir in one handful at a time. The spinach will wilt slightly and help make more room for the next handful. Add the cranberries and the juices that have accumulated from the chicken. Place the chicken thighs on top of the spinach. Cook on high for 20 minutes. Stir in pine nuts and lemon juice.


I served ours with a spoonful of brown rice. Slowly braising the chicken thighs makes them so tender and flavorful, without drying them out. The spinach stays tender-crisp and has a nice citric acidity, along with a sweetness from the cranberries. Overall, this is a tasty, easy dish that presents beautifully, thanks to the gorgeous combination of spinach and cranberries.




Make it work for you

This is where I will give you ideas to help fit each recipe into your busy life. Since I'm a shift worker, I've experienced, and adapted to, the challenges that lifestyle can bring. So, that will be my focus. My hope is that by showing you how to think outside the "home at 6:00, make dinner, eat at 7:00" paradigm, that anyone can figure out how to adjust their thinking and make healthy cooking work with their schedules.

First Shift/8:00-5:00: I'll be honest, the spinach doesn't make great leftovers, so this is best eaten day-of (the chicken is great the next day, though). This would be a fantastic meal to make on your day off. You could prepare a make-ahead meal with your oven/stove while this is cooking, thanks to easy prep and clean-up.
Second Shift: We could easily make this work in my house by doing prep work the night before, then my husband could place the insert into the slow cooker when he leaves for work at 8:00 am. I wake up at 11:00 am, so then I'd finish it off. I'd take a serving with me to work and leave the rest at home for him. Going this route, I'd only barely wilt the spinach so it isn't so mushy after reheating.
Third Shift: Again, this one would probably be best for your day off, while preparing a make-ahead meal with your oven/stove.

Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Cranberry Spinach

1 onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp tomato paste
Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 c water
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, or 4 bone-in chicken thighs with skin removed
Salt & pepper
10 oz baby spinach (or 10 cups)
1/4 c dried cranberries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp toasted pine nuts

1. Line slow cooker insert with thin layer of EVOO. Microwave onion, garlic, tomato paste, 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, paprika, and red pepper flakes until the onion is softened, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker, along with water. Stir to combine.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to slow cooker, turning to cover with mixture. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until chicken is fully cooked and tender.
3. Remove chicken to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Add spinach to slow cooker, stirring to combine and wilt slightly, 1 handful at a time. Mix in cranberries and any accumulated juices from the chicken. Place chicken on top of spinach and cook on high for about 20 minutes.
4. Remove chicken to serving plates. Season spinach with salt and pepper and add lemon juice and pine nuts; stir to combine, and serve.

Printer friendly recipe

Follow me on Facebook


1 comment:

  1. Aww, thanks! Of course I get my love of home cooking from both of you. Hopefully we can figure out a way for her to see my posts from time to time.

    ReplyDelete