Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Green Chile Adobo

So about a month ago, I was listening to an America's Test Kitchen podcast while I was in the kitchen cooking. I am a nerd, therefore I must completely nerd out about my obsessions passions, including food and cooking. And baking. And also eating. Anyway, this episode featured renowned Chicago chef, Rick Bayless. He was giving advice on how to replicate his apparently amazing Mexican food at home. One of the suggestions he mentioned was making a batch of his Green Chile Adobo. This can be treated like a sauce or condiment, and he stated that it can be kept in the fridge for up to six months. So the few minutes you invest in making it now really pays off in fresh, herby, spicy dividends for quite awhile. I knew that I had to make some. And I'm so glad I did. This sauce can be used in a variety of ways and will really help make your average weeknight dinner into something a little more special.


Start off by roughly chopping your cilantro and parsley, and toasting your serranos and garlic. My peppers are all different sizes because we picked some up at the farmers market. Later, when I was at Sprouts, I realized how small they were so I grabbed a few bigger ones while I was there. I guess that's the kind of thing that can happen when you work with a new ingredient for the first time.


You're actually given the option of softening your peppers and garlic in the microwave, but I would discourage it. You just aren't going to be able to replicate the flavor that you get from toasting on the stove. I mean, just look at the char on those things. Makes my mouth water just looking at it! Let the peppers and garlic cool a bit, then remove the skins from the garlic and roughly chop, along with the peppers.


Add all your ingredients to your food processor or blender, and let 'er rip.


Blend until the adobo looks similar to pesto. This will fit perfectly in a pint-sized mason jar. If you try a spoonful straight out of the jar, it is going to be sal. ty. But don't panic. When you add it to other food, it's going to contribute a ton of flavor and the saltiness will be diluted. This will work on lots of stuff, like meat, veggies, potatoes, tacos/enchiladas/fajitas, soup, etc. I think you'd be able to add some to mashed avocado for a super easy homemade guacamole, or drizzle a little into the dressing for Southwestern Chopped Salad for an extra boost of flavor. I've used this on top of pork chops and mixed into mashed potatoes, and both were amazing. This is such an easy way to add fresh, unique, homemade flavor to so many dishes, give it a try!


Make it work for you

Another recipe that can fit into anyone's schedule, this sauce can be made at any time. I made mine while cooking a different meal, since I had the cutting board and knife out anyway. It can keep in the fridge for up to six months, so go ahead and throw it together whenever you have a spare 20 minutes.

Green Chile Adobo
by Rick Bayless

1/2 head of garlic, separated into unpeeled cloves
4 to 5 fresh serrano chiles, stems removed
1 large bunch cilantro, (thick bottom stems cut off), roughly chopped (about 2 cups loosely packed)
1 large bunch flat leaf parsley, (thick bottom stems cut off), roughly chopped (about 2 cups loosely packed)
1 cup olive oil
2 generous teaspoons salt

Set a large (10-inch) skillet over medium heat.  Lay in the garlic and chiles and roast, turning regularly, until soft and browned in spots, about 10 minutes for the chiles and 15 for the garlic. (If you’re really short on time, you can soften them in a microwave: Cut a slit in each garlic clove and combine with the chiles in a microwavable bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, poke a few holes in the top and microwave on high for 30 seconds.) Cool until handleable, then slip off the garlic’s papery husks. Roughly chop everything (no need to remove the chile seeds).

In a blender or food processor, combine the garlic and chiles with the cilantro, parsley, olive oil and salt. Process, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary, until nearly smooth (it should look a little like pesto). Transfer to a pint-size jar and store, covered, in the refrigerator, where it will last several months.

Printer friendly recipe

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to make it this summer, while cilantro and parsley are cheap and good! I think drizzling a little of this into your pico would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete